Levels of Activism - Doing your part to legalize marijuana in North Carolina
NORML of North Carolina wants marijuana legalized, and we want your help.
New laws require coordinated effort. The marijuana legalization movement is no different. Thatís where NORML comes in. NORML is a grass roots organization that depends on small groups of people working together toward a common goal of statewide marijuana legalization. We are all unpaid volunteers who simply care about the issue enough to donate our time, energy and creativity.
Marijuana law reform requires effort from thousands of people. Some of these people will coordinate the efforts and put in long hours every week until a suitable bill is introduced and passed in state congress. Most will write letters and sign petitions. All are required at a minimum, if we want to create rational marijuana laws.
So why does this issue matter to us?
For some itís an economic issue. It is better to tax and regulate marijuana into a source of government revenue, instead of spending money arresting and imprisoning otherwise law abiding citizens.
For others itís civil rights issue. It is simply unacceptable to allow the government to imprison almost 800,000 people every year for possessing a non-toxic plant.
Others know first hand that marijuana is medicine. It has a wide-range of applications. For instance, the National Cancer Institute <
And thereís a reason that many understand but few discuss. For those who ingest marijuana regularly - for whatever reason - many have noticed it increases personal insight, serenity, sensitivity and overall kind-heartedness towards fellow humans. All traits that surely we can agree should be valued in a healthy society.
So if youíve read this far, you may be wondering how you can make a difference in changing marijuana laws in North Carolina.
There are several levels of activism that most everyone reading this blog is capable of. To what extent a person gets involved is a function of
how much time the potential activist is willing to commit
the importance of marijuana legalization personally
the willingness to be diligent in the multi-month effort to win over the public and state legislators.
NORML of North Carolina is organized so that those who want to do their part in legalizing marijuana and industrial hemp in North Carolina have options (depending on their answers to the above questions).
The least anyone can do to help the cause is:
Like North Carolina NORML on Facebook <
Follow @NC_NORML on Twitter <
StumbleUpon ncnorml.org (to help people find the NC NORML website)
Some other ways to support NORML in North Carolina are:
- Join NC NORML for 1 year (includes 1 year membership to National NORML)
- Donate money or buy NC NORML merchandise
- Know your State Representative and Senator. <
- Write Your Congress members (state) and ask them to support marijuana legalization (mention the pending House Bills by name) <
- Sign a NORML Lowest Law Enforcement Petition (LLEP) for your city or county
- Sign a General Assembly Petition showing your support for marijuana legalization across the state
- Talk to your friends & family about marijuana with objectivity and compassion
- Attend local NORML meetings
- Start local or campus chapter (if one doesnít exist near you)
- Canvass neighborhoods to solicit members, donations and signatures
- Volunteer for a pro-marijuana phone bank
- Sell your hobby on behalf of NORML
- Volunteer & Work in one of NORMLís many ongoing volunteer positions from now until full legalization
For the first time a majority of Americans support marijuana legalization. The numbers are on our side. Now we just have to organize and make our voices heard. We are no longer a minority.
Changing laws is a group effort that may feel like work at times. It is work. Fortunately momentum is on our side, so all North Carolina needs is enough willing workers to push these new laws across the finish line.
Are you willing to be one of them? We hope so.
Email us at email@example.com
or call us at 828.419.0768